I know some of my friends watch award ceremonies for the awards themselves but they only mildly interest me. What I love watching the awards shows for (and I’m sure there are many of us out there) is for the dresses and the odd fabulous suit. So I’ve broken down the 2012 Golden Globes into my top 10 Best Dressed, my top 10 Worst Dressed, and some Honorable Mentions.
Top 10 2012 Golden Globes Best Dressed:
1. Emma Stone in Lanvin – This dress just hits all the right notes for me. Her porcelain skin looks amazing and flawless against the rich, dark burgundy and red tones. I love the detail on the edge of the shoulders as well as the addition of the belt to emphasis her figure. The shoes and bag tie in nicely and her hair isn’t distracting from the amazing dress. I love her silver smoky eye as well, it seems to match the sleeves and belt detail. This girl does not seem to get enough credit for her sense of style. I mean who didn’t love her People’s Choice Awards number?
2. Sofia Vengara in Vera Wang – My god is this woman gorgeous! Her amazing figure and complexion; coupled with this amazing dress which has stunning detail, yet it’s not to over the top; and her perfectly straight, shiny hair. Wonderful! Her accent just makes her all the more sexy – the women want to be her and the men simply want her. I love her gorgeous white gold accessories too.
3. Kate Beckinsdale in Roberto Cavalli – Damn her good looks! Another stunning mermaid dress on another stunning lady. This is how you were neutral hues, ladies! Her tan is perfect because she’s just darker than her dress and therefore she doesn’t look naked (cough, Kristen Wiig, cough). The dress itself is stunning, all that detail while maintaining a simple cut. Her hair, make-up and accessories are also perfect – just enough to compliment the dress without distracting from the look. Easily my #3 best dressed!
4. Charlize Theron in Dior – Another girl showing everyone how to wear neutral hues! Perfection! Some people are hating this dress but I personally adore it. I love the sexy plunging neckline and thigh-high split contrasted against the cute glittery headband and blush colour of the dress. The floaty nature of the skirt means she’s being revealing without really being too revealing. Another example of good hair, make-up and accessories – not too little, not too much.
5. Viola Davis in Pucci – Burgundy Pucci accentuating all the right places on a gorgeous woman. Holy wow! The equivalent of Charlize in blush, this is the perfect neutral tone on her flawless African-American complexion. And looks at those arms! Fit, much? I love the lipstick/gloss they’ve used on her – it goes perfectly with the dress – and the rest of her make-up and hair and accessories go fantastically together as well. I also can’t help but hope she spikes her hair up for the MTV Awards or something later.
6. Salma Hayek in Gucci – I love this on Salma because it looks fantastic on her curvaceous figure. Her balayage hair also ties in nicely with the black and gold contrast on the dress. Besides, those curls are amazing. I loved that the light reflected on it differently each time making it more and more interesting. Like a modern-day Cleopatra and definitely a great pick in my books.
7. Kate Winslet in Jenny Packham – Now most people don’t usually pull off white bottom/black top without ending up looking pear-shaped, but luckily for Kate she’s hit the mark. The slit between the breasts is just right without being too raunchy and I love how elegant this dress is. Hair is lovely, another good make-up job and nice accessories. Well done, Kate.
8. Helen Mirrin in Badgley Mischka – Age appropriate, much? I adore this dress on her. The loveliest colour on her pale complexion, great hair styling and make-up and a bit of pizazz in the accessories. Fabulous!
9. Jessica Biel in Ellie Saab – A lovely dress by designer Ellie Saab. Nicely contrasted against her hair colour as well. I love the detailing of the lace on the split – gorgeous!
10. Ricky Gervais in Ted Baker – What a fabulous men’s suit! I love that Ricky didn’t just wear black like majority of the males there. It suited his personality and it looked great on him – not too out there seeing as he wore a black shirt beneath it.
Top 5 2012 Golden Globes Worst Dressed:
1. Madonna in Reem Acra – I’m sorry Madonna but no. The top of the dress is nice enough, maybe a bit too tight in the bust but combined with the bottom it’s a big fat F from me. I also didn’t like her hair, gloves or the big shiny cross or the fact the hemline looks like it needs some taking up.
2. Lea Michele in Marchesa – Okay, Lea. I know you love Marchesa and should basically be their spokeswoman but wow bad choice. I had to put her #2 simply because she’s a gorgeous girl who usually makes such great choices. This dress ages her so much and I just feel in certain lights the dress didn’t work so well with her complexion. Up close the detail on the dress is stunning but overall the dress is a fail. On the plus side, the hair and make-up in fantastic. Let’s hope she comes out with a stunner next time.
3. Mila Kunis in Dior – I love Mila Kunis, I really do and her hair and make-up were lovely. But alas, the dress was nowhere near as good Charlize’s Dior dress or as good as some of the stunners she wore last year. She wouldn’t be so high on my list had I not known she can do much, much, much better. Plus side? Things can only go up from here. The dress really didn’t flatter her little figure. Granted she’s put on a little weight since Black Swan (they required her to look very slim for the ballerina role), but the waist doesn’t seem to be sitting on the smallest part of her waist, she needs a good bra and the bottom of the dress has turned her into a pear. Poor thing.
4. Sarah Michelle Gellar in Monique Lhuillier – Cool print, really. Awfully bad cut. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you let your 2 year-old daughter pick what you wear to an awards show. Maybe if it had been fitted and above the knee it would have worked for another event?
5. Sharon Osbourne in Naeem Khan – See above rant. Great print, awful cut, try again in a more fitted, shorter version. Simple really.
6. Kristen Wiig in Bill Blass – Great shape on her, shame about the colour. Not usually a good idea to be the same colour as your dress.
7. Heidi Klum – Once you see the back you understand why the front doesn’t seem to fit. I love the turquouise against the nude but the shape at the front kills me. Maybe in black it would have worked but I just feel like it needs to be fitted in the front. I’m disappointed she doesn’t look her usual fab self.
8. Naya Rivera in Vera Wang – So it’s got an open back… But seriously, yuk. Who decided to put her in this? I think I should have put this higher on the list.
9. Amanda Peet in Marc Jacobs – Oh look, Grandma’s teapot cover finally made its red carpet debut. Who styled this? I have a feeling this should also be higher on the Worst Dressed List.
10. Laura Linney – Instead of looking structured it looks a bit limp around the bust. And I really don’t like the whole thing to be honest.
Honorable Mentions for looking lovely but not lovely enough to earn a Best Dressed placing go to:
Tina Fey for looking fabulous. Look at those ruffles!
Maya Rudolph because I adore her pink lip and the detail on her dress. I also think the higher bust line is more modest seeing as she’s big busted.
Debra Messing – another lady looking fab but not obviously Best Dressed worthy. I’m not so sure about the ruffle mid-thigh height on the left-hand side but anyway.
Nicole Kidman in Versace. There are some aspects of this dress I don’t like; however, compared to what she normally wears it’s quite lovely.
Jessica Chastain looking fabulous in a white number. I adore the subtle detailing.
Evan Rachel Wood looking great in Gucci. Although I must say she maybe a little too much like a peacock but it’s a cool dress.
Meryl Streep looked lovely too.
Julianne Moore’s long side-swept red locks, green earrings and black dress looked great together. Simple but elegant in Chanel’s Fall 2011 Couture Collection.
Last but not least is Amber Riley wearing the most divine Badgley Mischka strapless red dress with long wavy locks and simple accessories. Perfect for her figure and for the Globes.
Hopefully you enjoyed my 2012 Golden Globes Best and Worst Dressed list. Comment below if you disagree or agree with my picks or tell me of any I’ve missed out on. I can’t wait to do another best and worst list after the Oscars in February!